Home About Me Cooking Culture Obsessions Confessions

Monday, July 25, 2011

Cooking - Turkey Chili Con Camping


Camping means to me...

gorgeous scenery,

wind blowing through the trees,

Lincoln bathing in dirt,

hikes around hidden lakes,

Maya climbing boulders,

mosquitoes eating me alive,

children building fairy villages out of sticks and pinecones,

my hair turning to straw,

endless loads of laundry,

laughs around the campfire,

cozy moments with my kiddos in our sleeping bags,

and, probably most importantly,

roasted banana splits and THIS turkey chili. 

I guess I cannot claim it to be my turkey chili because I came upon the recipe on Facebook when my friend Brillana announced its deliciousness. 

And then I realized that it belongs Guy Fieri who is often referred to as one of cooking's axis of evil (alongside Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee). 

But I do not consider myself a culinary snob. (I would proudly eat cheese from a can.) So I gave the recipe a whirl.

Best. Turkey. Chili. Ever.

Thanks be to the baby Jesus.

I really think my love is what puts it over the top. But you can try it and see how it turns out. It may come out just nearly as a good. And when you do make it  -- as you should if you desire a long, happy life --  think of these adorable faces. It may help you add my love. And then I will charge you a few bucks because there should be some royalties on my love. My love is very valuable and a delicacy in Malaysia this week. 





Ryder's Turkey Chili

Recipe from Guy Fieri for Food Network Magazine

Ingredients

  • 10 to 12 dried pasilla chile peppers
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 1/2 jalapeno peppers, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
  • 9 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 small red onions, diced
  • 3 pounds coarsely ground turkey (thigh and breast meat)
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste
  • 3 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups canned pinto beans with liquid
  • 3 cups canned kidney beans with liquid
  • 2 cups canned black beans with liquid
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
  • Saltine crackers, for serving

Directions

Rehydrate the pasilla peppers in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes, or until softened; drain. Remove the stems and seeds; dice the peppers.
Warm the oil in a large pot over high heat. Add the pasillas, bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic and onions and cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the turkey and gently stir, trying not to break up the meat too much; cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and sauce, stir for 4 minutes, then add the chicken broth. Add the granulated onion and garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, 2 tablespoons salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper. Stir in the beans and their liquid, lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for at least 1 hour. Garnish with shredded cheddar and serve with saltines.
Serves a buttload of people. At least 10. 








2 comments:

January Dawn said...

OH YUM! And those faces! *squish!* So cute! How about those roasted bananas???? Those sound fantastically delicious too.

Unknown said...

The roasted bananas are embarrassingly easy.

You just split a banana, still in the peel, in half. You stuff it with chocolate chips, marshmallows or whatever you like. You wrap it in foil. You roast it over the grill until the chocolate melts and the banana gets all mushy.

You take a spoon and scoop the goodness into your mouth. Soooo good!