Home About Me Cooking Culture Obsessions Confessions

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cooking - Turkey Zuppa Toscana

Turkey Zuppa Toscana

Of course this post, following my “I’m-a-fatty-and-need-help” post, is all about a  creamy, delicious soup. It is not low-calorie or low-fat or low-carb.

I’m aware of my mental disconnects. And I’m aware I need major help.

But I did try to lighten this soup up a bit from its original recipe on Allrecipes.com. And I only had one serving and not the usual three that I eat before I eat a “real” meal because soup is really just a starter.

Major lobotomy needed. Or at least a good brain-washing. Someone send the hypnotist over pronto.

So here’s the recipe. It tastes exactly like the soup from Olive Garden and it’s the easiest thing in the world to make. Easy for you to make. Not me. I still live with Lincoln, after all.

Add a salad and bread and you will be in heaven on a chilly Friday night before you watch The Wire.




Turkey Zuppa Toscana
Ingredients
            1.25 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
            1 large onion, diced
            1 tablespoon minced garlic
            5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
            6 small potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
            1 cup half and half
            1/2 bunch fresh kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
                                    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.    Cook the Italian sausage, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes.
  1. Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat.
  2. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. Stir in kale until it begins to wilt and then add half-and-half.
  4. Heat through, adjust seasonings and serve with bread and salad.

No comments: