Home About Me Cooking Culture Obsessions Confessions

Friday, June 17, 2011

Culture - Fathers Figured Out



With Father's Day coming on Sunday, I've spent a lot of time thinking about my two favorite fathers -- Larry and my Dad. 


Now, let me tell you, you couldn't find two more different people. And I think it's a beautiful thing. 


You see, many people, including my mother, would tell you that I'm almost a carbon-copy of my old Pop. (Though she's usually not intending it as a compliment.) And now darling little drama-doll Maya has carried on the legacy of our charisma and charm...much to Larry's chagrin. 


So yes, they are two very different men. But these poles often meet on the other side.


One likes the Angels. The other a die-hard Dodger fan. This makes them both losers.


One will only eat poultry. The other prefers red meat. They both do not grasp the brilliance of blue cheese.


Larry is quiet and diplomatic. My dad can be talkative and sometimes quite blunt. And both call me every day from work or the car to see how my day is going.


They are both affectionate and caring even when they both drive me crazy. Because that also happens daily. Usually five minutes into their phone calls. 


But without my dad, I would not have seen Phantom of the Opera and fallen in love with theater.


And without Larry, I would be the one downstairs right now putting together a fucking paper rainbow wand from Jake and the Neverland Pirates for Maya because she saw it on television this morning and absolutely had to have it even though it will crumple into a paper ball of shit the minute she puts her little digits on it tomorrow morning. 


So I will make Larry some chicken on Sunday. And, for my father, a steak. 


And we all win.


Happy Father's Day!



No comments: