Home About Me Cooking Culture Obsessions Confessions

Friday, June 3, 2011

Cooking - Strawberry Fields Forever (Recipe Roundup)

Once upon a time someone suggested we go strawberry picking.


What does that mean?


You go to this great organic farm and you pick strawberries. 


For free? 


No, you pay some money.


Are you kidding me? I am a Mexican! I do not pay people to pick strawberries. They pay me!


It was a moral stance I was not willing to compromise. 


This is wrong. This is taking jobs away from la raza.


Get over yourself.


Never.


We're all going tomorrow.


How much do I owe?


And it was fun. So I changed my worldview on the matter and decided that, by picking strawberries in the field, I was supporting my people and  teaching my children about their heritage (even though I'm pretty sure none of my ancestors ever actually picked anything). 


This year I even bought a t-shirt. Though I'm pretty sure it came from England and not Mexico.




England didn't make a version for boys. But Lincoln wanted to be in the photo anyway.



I have now grown to love those strawberry tours at Tanaka Farms and look forward to them every year. We get the opportunity to see where our food comes from, enjoy organic fruits and vegetables and get a little dirty.


Forced to take a bite of celery.

Am I the only one who finds this kind of inappropriate?

During the tractor ride, I find my mind wandering and dreaming of all the strawberry recipes I plan on making with our bounty. Strawberry muffins, strawberry ice cream, strawberry salad...


...strawberry pie, strawberry pickles....



And those strawberries didn't even last long enough for my grand plans. The kids gobbled them down in 24 hours. 

Oh well...


So here are a couple recipes that I would've loved to try had I been given the chance. 

(Because now I'm too tired to actually go to the market.)

Strawberries and Dumplings by Smitten Kitchen


Strawberry Shortcake Cake by Pioneer Woman (I actually made this for Maya's 4th Birthday Butterfly Tea Party. It was yummers.) 



Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake at Chowhound. (I have always wanted to make this but have always been intimidated by the process.)



Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Leite's Culinaria




Roasted Strawberries by Leite's Culinaria (Interesante. Definitely intrigued. They are to put on ice cream, biscuits, pound cake, whatever, when your strawberries are under ripe. )



So go forth and enjoy the sweetness! And let me know if you try any of these recipes. And viva la raza! Or something...

No comments: